Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The End of the World?


I grew up believing the end of the world was imminent. We were taught that Jesus was about to return at any moment to catch away faithful believers. This was to be followed by a seven year period of great tribulation where in order to be saved, one would most likely have to give his life.


This doctrine was preached with such fervency and with such authority that anyone who questioned it was simply regarded as foolish. I did not question it. And our denomination strongly taught a bizarre mixture of salvation by grace heavily mixed with works. So while we all acted like we knew we were saved, most of us kids had periods where we just knew we were not. For me, this resulted in a lot of turmoil and despair.

One of my first childhood memories happened in the Sears store at the Tri-County Mall. I was about six years old. I got separated from my mother while she was shopping in the racks of dresses. Suddenly, it occurred to me that she had been raptured and I had been left behind. I began crying and desperately ran through the store hoping against hope that my mother was still there. When I found her, I did not run to her and hug her. I did not want her to know that I was worried about being left behind. Over the years, this scenario played out several more times. I remember calling people on the phone who I knew would be raptured, just to make sure they were still on earth.


To the uninitiated, this seems truly ludicrous, even abusive. But it remains a foundational doctrine for most Pentecostals, Charismatics, and Baptists. The Left Behind book series is one of the top selling series of all time. Christians encourage their children and young teenagers to read these fictional accounts based on what the authors consider Biblical predictions of the future.


Men like John Hagee and Hal Lindsay wield powerful influence among conservative politicians in promoting support for Israel based on this doctrine. I consider myself a supporter of Israel but this support has nothing to do with Biblical prophecy. Israel is a bright light of democracy and women's rights in the dark world of Islam. Israel certainly has its problems, but it is far superior to the kingdoms and dictatorships prevalent in the region.


On the Glenn Beck show, Hagee recently said that we have less than twenty years until all this comes about. In the seventies and eighties, they were telling us we had less time than that. Hal Lindsay wrote a ridiculous book entitled, "The 1980's- Countdown to Armageddon". Why do gullible Christians still buy his books and listen to his wacko theories. (Isn't he on wife number four? That usually disqualifies one for ministry in Baptist and Pentecostal denominations.)


I think that "end times" teaching does irreparable harm to young people who grow up with this madness. There is no reason to apply themselves in education or to save money. The rapture teachers have been wrong since 1948 and they are getting more bold and more dogmatic with their claims.


I have many friends and family who strongly hold these beliefs. My intent is not to belittle them or to cause them to lose faith. My hope is that Christians begin to realize the harm this teaching brings to young people. Little kids should NEVER be exposed to the thought that their mother might be taken from them, leaving them alone during a period of hell on earth. And teenagers need to have this doctrine tempered with encouragement to live their lives as if they were actually going to get to live their lives. (That sounds crazy doesn't it?)


Life is too short to waste a moment of it worrying about the end of the world. I think most religions, but especially Islam and Christianity, are too preoccupied with afterlife to appreciate the awesome wonder of the time we have now. If this post has upset you or peaked your curiosity, I suggest you go to the Tentmaker link above and check out the studies available on the words translated "world" in the modern Bibles. It might give you some comfort.


Unto him be glory in the Church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, WORLD WITHOUT END. Amen. (Ephesians 3:21)

No comments: