Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Appraising the Brewski


I know nothing about wine. Several years ago, we were dining at a fine restaurant with a couple of friends. Leo ordered a glass of expensive wine. When it came, he took a sip and politely informed the waiter that this was not the wine he ordered. He guessed it was from the same winery but was from a different year. To my utter amazement, the owner of the restaurant came out and apologized. He gave Leo a complimentary bottle of the wine he ordered and said that someone had opened a bottle from the previous year by mistake. Needless to say, I was impressed.

But when it comes to fine beer, I am somewhat of an expert. I do not drink Budweiser or Strohs. After all, Leo does not drink Boones Farm! But I do try to find good brews and recommend them to friends. And three of my favorites are brewed right here in America, and two of them are from Ohio. I like nearly everything that the Sam Adams people produce, but the Boston Lager is my favorite. It is my favorite beer that you can get anywhere. But my top two beers in the world are not available everywhere.

The Great Lakes Brewing Company, in Cleveland, makes an ale that is to die for. It is called Burning River, named after the infamous incident where the Cuyahoga River caught fire. (Yes, a river caught fire. And this was when Dennis Kucinich was mayor!) I appreciate their willingness to laugh at themselves. And I also appreciate the assertive, citrusy hops flavor. This stuff absolutely rocks! And just a side note: How did Dennis Kucinich get such a hot wife. There is no possible rational explanation for that. But people say that about me too, I guess.

Anyway, my top brew anywhere in the world is brewed right here in Cincinnati. It is made by a young entrepreneur named Mike Dewey and his wife Kathleen. I met them when doing a consulting job because Clermont County was trying to take some of their land by eminent domain. I wrote a scathing report and Mike's lawyer skillfully used it to stop the proceeding. At that time, they were making beer in their basement. But things have progressed over the last few years. They own the Mount Carmel Brewing Company and their Copper Ale is my absolute favorite.

I was pleasantly surprised when the Cincinnati Reds began to sell the Mount Carmel Copper Ale at Great American Ballpark. This brew makes sitting through Reds games tolerable, even in the late innings when no lead is safe. Dewey has created one heck of a robust ale. This is why God created hops! It is only available in growlers and kegs. But you are in for a treat if you make the effort to acquire a Mount Carmel Copper Ale.

Bottoms up!

No comments: