Friday, February 8, 2008

Getting In Touch With My Inner Hippie

My son is a bourgeoning rock star. In less than two years, he has become a very good guitarist and currently plays with three bands. I noticed his musical ability when he was five. He wanted a guitar at seven. I got him a Stratocaster at the Fender shop in Nashville. I started trying to teach him to play and he just lost all interest. I did not push him. If I had pushed him, one of two things would have happened. He would have become the next John Mayer or he would have resisted and never played again. I'm glad I let him find his own way.

Anyway, Adam and some of his derelict musician friends asked me to take them to Bonneroo, a music festival with about 250,000 people in Tennessee. It will be camping, hippies, 100 bands, 15 stages, and I'm sure lots of leftist politics and global warming alarmists.

I have agreed to go. Debbie jumped at the idea. Our friends, Cary and Roni are going too. Their daughter is also an emerging guitarist.

Yesterday, word leaked that Led Zeppelin might be playing. That may even get my buddy Tom to go. Tom is not a camper! His idea of roughing it is renting a chalet in the mountains where you have to drive 15 miles to get a good Manhattan. I told him to man up and let his love of Zeppelin overpower his love of comfort.

Last week I cleaned out my clothes closet and did not throw away three tie-dyed tee shirts. Now I know why.

The following is my result from the "Are You A Hippie?" test at Kansas Bob's blog.

You're Not Exactly a Hippie...

While you're not a hippie, you've got the spirit of one.
Like most hippies, you have deep beliefs and unusual interests.

You may not buy into hippie fashions, music, or heavy drug use.
But at heart, you are a free spirit and suspicious of the status quo.

No comments: